Saturday, August 8, 2009

Day Thirty-Nine: Out of The Mouths of Babes

The kid just asked me very seriously: "Mom, when can you have Oreos again?"


I've been declining food left and right from her for almost 40 days. Cupcakes and zucchini bread from school. French fries and lemonade at home. She realized today that we haven't baked anything nor have we been to our favorite Chinese food place in a "long, long time." I realized today that she's just like me ...

We are food sharers.

I told her I could have Oreos again in about 50 days. You should have seen her face. *GASP* The horror ...

But despite her/our affection for Oreos and other baked goods, she inspires me on the PCP. She likes bananas and yogurt and eggs and sugarless applesauce. She thinks it's amusing to watch me eat yogurt or a banana with a grimace. I'd like to be more like her sometimes. She eats when she is hungry; she stops when she is not. She loves to be active, and today we went for a bike ride. "I just love to be outside!" she cooed. And fall soccer is coming up, and she loves to pretend she is Cheetara not because she is yellow (her favorite), beautiful or the lone female adult character of the Thundercats, but "because she is a fast runner."

Recently she picked up the word "fat" from one of her buddies; I don't use that word and we had a very serious talk about how often that is a hurtful word, which like "stupid" and "shut up," we shall not use. She's not uttered it since. And likewise she is noticing my new eating and exercise habits (she loooooooves to help me pick out new fruit and veg each week, she loooooooves when we go to the park so I can exercise on the weekends). I hope this PCP mentality is seeping into her brain as much as mine.

3 comments:

  1. Wow..We have the same problem and same motivation. So appreciate you reaching out and commenting on the newer PCPers...It helps to know other were there. I find myself surprised by how far away I've gotten from eating fruit and veggies as the base of my eating..Not far away, it was never there, but how good it actually feels. The cantalope is sweet, the strawberries the same.
    Then the thought as well of what our kids see and hear and then see and hear us do. Inspiring post-thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time you say no thanks to the Oreo you're putting a little text message in her brain that says "maybe, just maybe, Oreo's aren't the greatest thing ever."

    That'll pay off big time down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a good role model for her! Good work!

    ReplyDelete