Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day Twenty-Nine: And the Cupboard was Bare

Not happy today. Not happy with myself at all.

See I went food shopping last Friday and loaded up on PCP foods to last me the week. But then the weekend came, and so did three guests who ate the food (as they should) and gobbled up any time I typically would have spent prepping any cooked and chopped food for this week. Monday came, and I realized that I had less food than anticipated to get me through to this Friday, which is payday. And while I have some flow in the bank, it's already squirreled away for the kid's doctor's appointment tomorrow. She's been having a minor, yet chronic health issue with her ear this summer. Each doc appt is costing anywhere from $45 to $90, depending on the number of meds she needs. And that's approximately what's left in my bank account for the next two days. So no PCP food shopping until then, which means until then, my diet plan is completely off mark. And I feel it!

I've exhausted all protein options, sans a giant thing of stew beef which after two days is still defrosting in my fridge; can't defrost it in the microwave coz it's from Costco, which means, yes, it really is a huge meat ice cube. Nor will it fit in the Crockpot. Must wait. I feel like I'm burning the candle at both ends. I also rationed out my drinkable yogurts to two a day, two fruits a day, and I'm eating mostly vegs from my garden. Tonight, a friend dropped off a spaghetti squash from his garden for me to try (never ate one before!) and so will give that a go. My dinner tonight: Cream of Wheat with cinnamon and milk. Tasty but not at all PCP. But with this week's rainy, cool weather (think Colorado in March, not late July), I needed something warm and satisfying and this was about as good as it was going to get. I'm bummed, but it's a minor setback.

In better news, I got through my exercises despite being a little pissy about my food situation and the inclement weather. It stopped raining enough for me to feel OK about exercising in the dark and dank >50 degree F temps. This is the kind of weather that typically gets my asthma riled up so I am pretty cautious about being active during these times. But I rocked the jropes and subsequent exercises and can now get on with my life.

3 comments:

  1. Ummm...not to be a smartass, but...why don't you take the beef out of the fridge and let it defrost at room temp?
    I just had the thought today as I paid my $90 Trader Joe's bill, "eating is expensive, eating well doubly so".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is exactly why healthcare in the US must change right now. Having to choose between buying fresh proteins and vegetables and your kid's doctor appointments. Completely fubar.

    As for the cost, check out Sebastian's post a few weeks ago.

    http://thepeakconditionproject-sebastian.blogspot.com/2009/06/added-benefits.html

    You might get sticker shock at the supermarket register, but what you're not seeing is the little snacks, lunches out, frappacinos, etc... that catch up with you at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeremy: Fine question. I didn't leave it out at room temp because I didn't believe I had enough time to let the giant thing defrost and cook it after work. Also, I'm paranoid about food stuff and wouldn't trust it probably (weird like that) OR worse I would leave it out only to forget it on the counter (which I've done before!). Our after work hours go by too quickly.

    During the work week, we are just not home all that much, get home by 7p, feed kid, workout PCP style, shower, play with kid and then bedtime for kid and would prefer not to be cooking post 10p.m. Just the way our life is at the moment. I'm not sweating it coz it's only two days. If doc appt goes well, I can pick up a little something later today.

    ReplyDelete