Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Day Fifteen: The Daily Grind

Snack, crackle, pop. My PCP breakfast? I wish.

My bones make awful sounds. They feel awful during certain exercises. Sometimes all it takes is a deep breath in, and my back clicks and clacks like a train on the track. Like a bad clutch, my joints pop, grind, slip. I come from a long line of women who suffer from osteoporosis so bad, their hands eventually become claws of stiff knuckles and their backs curl like question marks (a condition probably caused by all those Catholic babies they bear). I know the pregnancy and birth of my daughter five years depleted and stretched my frame. I also got a cavity (my first) at this time, which I hear is typical of pregnancy. I notice my left shoulder popping with every da vinci. Leg ups are downright painful and, might I add, noisy! Must soldier on.

p.s. here is a a PCP breakfast I made over the weekend. I call it "PCP on a Shingle" because it reminded me of a food story I once wrote about S.O.S., the U.S. military's comfort food. I started doing some semblance of this about two years ago when I developed an egg intolerance and I longed for a veggie goodness kind of breakfast dish. Basically it's an eggless omelet on toast.

PCP on a Shingle

1. Saute your fave vegs (I used mushrooms and broccoli florets)

2. Remove from heat and place one slice of your fave cheese on the vegs. (I used provolone; this white cheese with the mushrooms really evokes the colors and textures of the original S.O.S. dish).

3. Meanwhile, toast your PCP-friendly bread (for the uninformed, these are your shingles).

4. Once cheese is melted, put cheesy vegs on top of the toast and enjoy!

1 comment: