Sunday, July 19, 2009

Day Nineteen: Back on Track

I am proud to say I caught up with Day 18 exercises this a.m. and then did my Day 19 exercises this p.m. despite my cankle, which is on the mend. There were voices within that argued with me to bail. Grr! I got mad.

This evening, I tried like last week to take the kid and her BFF to the playground down the street. They ride bikes and climb on the playground apparatus while I jump rope, etc. But when we got there, a wicked storm was coming off the foothills and the skeeters were hungry, so I attempted a pull-up (uber fail) and then cranked out my inclined pull-ups. And then we scampered back home, where the girls played indoors and I attempted to finish my exercise on the driveway. Let me tell you: with lightning and dark clouds and high wind to my south, I was reminded of the movie Caddyshack as I jumped rope at all costs (when the priest plays on, despite the inclement weather, because it's his best golf game ever? YEAH. Was hoping God wouldn't smite me. Thanks, God!). I didn't want to stop because I was in the zone, ya know? I knew if I stopped, I wouldn't finish it later. That's not how I roll.

I also cooked up some steaks on the grill, and they turned out amazing! I used a marinade of mustard, balsamic, oil, rosemary and pepper (salt is typically used but was omitted for PCP reasons). I also broke out my new rice cooker/steamer. There are two camps: people who swear by rice cookers, and those who swear by boiling water in a pot. I've tried for years to make rice the "real" way and it's always been ... crunchy or mushy but always shitty. Today's batch of brown rice was just ... right. Nom nom nom.

3 comments:

  1. In Japan the thought of making rice without a rice cooker is heresy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a convert, that's for certain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Filipino friend, Jenn, laughed at me when I told her I make rice on the stove...she has a rice cooker and uses it for almost every meal! Since moving into my new place and having a new stove I've yet to make a good batch of rice...maybe it's time to invest in a rice cooker after all? We'll have to discuss sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete